Another day, another soup! It’s soup season, so Matty Ice and I decided to whip up a couple bowls of Butternut Squash Soup. However, there is a bit of a twist with this recipe for this butternut squash soup. It can’t be found in a cookbook or on a trendy foodie blog, but rather from the hearts of Matty Ice and Nelly Noms!
Homestyle Eats With Love: Butternut Squash Soup
- First, sauté onion, garlic, and sage in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Remove from pot.
- Then add the cubed butternut squash and caramelize each squash cube. Do this in batches so the pot isn’t crowded.
- For two butternut squashes, it took about four batches to make sure every cube was deliciously brown.
- Then add everything back into the pot.
- Once everything is back in the pot, add cinnamon, salt, pepper, and crush red pepper.
- Cover with chicken stock. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (until every piece of squash is squishy).
- Blend with immersion blender and add some cream or coconut milk (we did half a can of coconut milk).
- Taste and season with more salt, pepper, and/or cinnamon if you want 😊! Trust your gut!
Personally, I like to top my soup with some homemade kale pesto and served with little toasties, prosciutto, and fresh creamy burrata. Matty Ice’s soup is a bit more basic. His soup has goat cheese added into it.